Liverpool 2 – 2 Chelsea – Liverpool win the Super Cup! The two sides could not be separated after 120 minutes.
Liverpool won the Super Cup for the fourth time in their history by beating Chelsea 5-4 on penalties after a 2-2 draw in Istanbul.
Goalkeeper Adrian kept out Tammy Abraham’s spot kick to secure victory for the Champions League winners.
Chelsea had taken the lead in the first half through Olivier Giroud’s clinical strike but Sadio Mane scored twice to give Liverpool the lead.
Jorginho’s spot kick took the game to penalties, where Liverpool triumphed.
Liverpool 2 – 2 Chelsea | UEFA Super Cup – Match Highlights
- 36′ 0 – 1 Olivier Giroud slot in opener after Pulisic feeds him a pass! N’Golo Kante gets past Fabinho and Sadio Mane too easily and feeds it through to Christian Pulisic. The American pokes it through perfectly to Olivier Giroud and the Frenchman slots it under Adrian’s legs and into the far corner. Where art thou Liverpool’s defence?
- 48′ 1 – 1 Sadio Mané scores equaliser after Firmino tees him up! Fabinho lifts it over the top and Roberto Firmino reacts quickest, while remaining onside. He beats the keeper to the ball and flicks it to his right, where Sadio Mane is waiting. The Senegalese forward pokes it over the line. Instant impact from Bobby.
- 95′ 2 – 1 Sadio Mané gives Liverpool lead over Chelsea! Sadio Mane waits for Roberto Firmino to make the run and the Brazilian stays onside. The pass is perfect and Firmino can cut it back first time to Mane, who carried his run into the box. The Senegalese thumps it first time into the top right corner. Pick that one out!
- 101′ 2 – 2 [Penalty Goal] Jorginho levels! Jorginho is the coolest man on the planet. He skips before dribbling the ball down the middle. Adrian had already started diving to his right. Penalty to Chelsea after Tammy Abraham makes a darting run through the centre and Virgil van Dijk has to pile on the pressure. Adrian does well to make the block and Joel Matip gets to the rebound first but Adrian brings down Tammy Abraham for the Penalty!.
Liverpool (5) 2 – 2 (4) Chelsea | UEFA Super Cup – Penalty Highlights
- 1 – 0 Roberto Firmino scores! Goes left, keeper goes right. 1-0.
- 1 – 1 Jorginho scores! Jorginho hits the same spot as Firmino. Adrian had a warning from the referee to stay on his line.
- 2 – 1 Fabinho scores! Bottom right. Easy.
- 2 – 2 Ross Barkley scores! High and to the right – best of the bunch so far.
- 3 – 2 Divock Origi scores! It’s a squirmer! Kepa gets a hand to it but it squeezes under him.
- 3 – 3 Mason Mount scores! Thwack! High and mighty from Mounty. Into the roof of the net.
- 4 – 3 Trent Alexander-Arnold scores! Once again Kepa guesses right but his glove isn’t strong enough to keep it out.
- 4 – 4 Emerson scores! Adrian is yelling something at Emerson as he steps up. No bother. Down the middle and in.
- 5 – 4 Mo Salah scores! Cool as a cucumber. Stroked into the corner.
- 5 – 4 Tammy Abraham misses! Adrian has saved it! It’s hit straight down the middle!